Friday, December 9, 2011

GCBC Elder Richard G. Scott

Over at Diapers and Divinity she is hosting a General Conference Book Club (GCBC) where once a week she has one talk that we study and discuss. I have decided that instead of just sharing my thoughts on her blog I would also blog about each talk myself.

I have decided to do this for a few reasons:
     1. I ramble and do not want to take up too much space.
     2. I created this blog to share the Gospel. Having prophets and apostles on this earth today is amazing. I want to share their words with everyone.

So this week is Elder Scott's talk.

This talk was one that spoke so much to me! The imagery in his words are amazing:
"Packets of light."
"Stalwart friends"
"File cabinets with friends."
Just take a minute and picture each of those. Powerful huh?

My favorite line from the talk is "Learning, pondering, and memorizing scriptures is like filling a filing cabinet with friends, values and truths." As a shy person with only a few close friends, the idea of having a filing cabinet full of friends is exciting.

So there was alot from this talk that I felt I am needing to work on.
   1. I need to study more. I haven't been the most consistent in doing this. I find that I will study for like half a day than a few weeks later studying again.. So I am committing to a daily reading. - So far this is going good. Some days I have only got a few verses in but they are open daily.
   2. I need to read the Old Testament from cover to cover. This is a huge undertaking that I will start after I have finished my reading of the Book of Mormon from cover to cover. Hopefully starting sometime in November.
   3. I have the habit of running to others, and running to physiological books to get help when challenges arise in life. But I need to run to my scriptures and those examples in them before anyone else.

We are told we need to be self sufficient in all things. This means not just temporal things but spiritual and mental as well. I am not saying going to friends and other books is bad, but for me I need to remember to go to the scriptures. The way I know this would work for me is by seeking answers from them first.

As I have read through this talk. I have been amazed and my attention drawn to all the blessing the scriptures can bring to our lives as we search, ponder, pray and memorize:
  • Illuminate our minds
  • A place for guidance and inspiration from on high
  • Key to open channel to communion with Father in Heaven
  • Strength of authority
  • Stalwart friends, not limited by geography or calender
  • Always available when needed
  • Foundation of truth
  • Great power
  • Memorizing forges new friendship
  • Help in time of need
  • Give inspiration and comfort
  • Source of motivation
  • Give great direction to life
  • Foundation of support
  • Willing friend who can help us
  • Enduring friend who is not weakened with the passage of time
  • Pondering is key to unlock revelation, guidance and inspiration
  • Greater happiness, peace and attainment in this life
  • Key ingredients to platform of truth
  • Acts as a resource to share gospel
What a ton of AMAZING blessings from the Standard Works. It makes me want to go out and make the effort to study memorize and ponder more.What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment