Thursday, October 13, 2011

My scripture study

I love scripture study so much. I have a hard time now with little ones around not getting as long in my scriptures but I feel I am gaining more from it now too.

So Emily over at This is Me Challenge  has asked how do I study my scriptures. I had to ponder this because I felt I didn't have a set way in which I do. Upon further investigation I do.

First off though I wanted to share my faviorate talk from this last conference partening to scripture study The power of Scripture by Elder Richard G. Scott. This talk was one of my very favorite from Conference and I will talk more about it in my next post.

Back to how I study my scriptures.

1st- I always always start with prayer so that I can stay focused and know what the Lord would have me gain from this passage at this time.

2nd- I than open my scriptures, now here's where I get weird. I have my spot where I am reading stright through but I also LOVE to do scripture study by topic. Sometimes  though when I know my time is limited I will just open and read where I land. So depending on time and what I feel like I is how and where I read.

3rd- I do mark up my scriptures. I don't have a system at this time but when I get new scriptures I will be starting a system so that I can know why each one is marked. I do also write in my scriptures. I put titles on top of the page so I may know what each page is about. Than I also write down simple short phrases to help me better understand scriptures or add other cross references.

4th.- Lastly I have a scriptures journal that I write in by topic or scripture passages. I love this newer addition of my scriptures. I am able to write more down. Such as quotes from general authorities that help explain that topic or scripture better.

New thing I want to start is a scripture journal by date because than I can add more feelings.

That's it, that is how I study my scriptures. I know it might be elementary but that  is all I do, and for now it works for me.

Lastly I love going to The Red Headed Hostess to gain more understanding of scriptures and get really great ideas on how to study the scriptures. This lady is super talented in this area and I admire her and strive to be more like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment